Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Oh My Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies!

I'm baaaaack!  And it's cookie recipe sharing time :)

Geof and I are living with friends here in Salt Lake City and one of them, Rob, has recently adopted a gluten-free diet.  At first blush I thought that sounded terrible (no beer?!).  But, it's actually been a lot of fun participating in ensuring he is following the rules, and enjoying a relatively gluten-free diet ourselves (FYI, there is gluten free beer :)).  You wouldn't believe how much stuff has gluten in it!  Wow!  It became almost instantly second nature to check the labels of everything.

In any event, I had the urge to bake this week, and in the interest of ensuring all members of the household could enjoy the fruits of my labor, I set out to find a decent gluten-free cookie recipe.

Ask and ye shall receive!

The cookies came out great and are so delicious!  They won rave reviews and glowing praise.  I will definitely be making these again.  You would never guess there was zero gluten...no flour, no oil.  Just pure awesome.

I adapted this recipe from Make It Naked, a great little blog.


Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies (makes about 4 dozen cookies)
Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1¼ teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup peanut butter (I used all natural PB and it worked great)
3 cups rolled oats (gluten free)
6 oz chocolate chips (NOTE: I used raisins as we didn't have chocolate chips)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Cream together the butter and sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy.
  3. Add the eggs, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix. Add peanut butter and mix.
  4. Add the oats and raisins (or chocolate chips...or both!). Mix slowly until combined.
  5. Scoop about a teaspoon of dough onto a greased or parchment-covered cookie sheet.
  6. Bake 10-12 minutes until lightly brown at edges. Remove and let cool on wire rack.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment