Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Pan Seared Alaskan Halibut with Arugula, Butternut Squash, Spicy Vinaigrette and Bella Mushrooms

Okay, last one for today.  I had a bit of a backlog of recipes I wanted to post :) This one's a bit different from what I usually post.  It was somewhat involved, but so crazy easy, and even crazier delicious!

Rob had thawed out some of the halibut he had caught on a recent fishing trip to Alaska, and I had some butternut squash I wanted to use (I'm on a major squash kick right now).

Enter: technology.

I Googled "halibut and butternut squash" not actually thinking something would jump out at me, and lo and behold, I found this recipe!  I had to make a few substitutions, but nothing major.  I also included mushrooms.  I felt like having mushrooms :)  The flavors all worked together really well!


Ingredients 
2 halibut filets (approximately 6-7 ounces each)
1 large butternut squash, diced
Arugula (as much as you want to use!  I used more since there were three of us dining)
1/4 red onion, shaved or sliced very thin
2 tsp aged balsamic vinegar (and a splash of rice vinegar!)
1 oz extra virgin olive oil
1/3 tsp of spicy brown mustard
1/3 tsp of honey
Sea salt and pepper
Mushrooms
One package sliced Bella mushrooms, rinsed; sauté to liking in a small pan with olive oil; sprinkle with parmesan cheese on plate.
Instructions 
1. Make the vinaigrette by mixing the vinegar, mustard, honey, and 1 oz of extra virgin olive oil
2. Sear the halibut in a hot pan with olive oil
3. Once the halibut is browned on one side, flip the filets, turn down the heat just a bit, and continue until cooked through
4. While the halibut is cooking, in a separate pan sauté the diced butternut squash in butter until golden brown (make sure the squash is not over cooked and mushy)
5. In a mixing bowl, toss the arugula and onions with the vinaigrette (hold back a portion of the vinaigrette to spoon over the top of the halibut)
6. To plate, place the arugula salad mixture in the center of the plate and top with the halibut filet
7. Dress the top of the fish with a spoonful of the sherry vinaigrette, and then the butternut squash
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment