Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Chicken and Noodles with Coconut Curry Sauce

Another success story!  I was really craving some Thai-inspired fare last night so I decided to dive head first into making my own version of one of my favorite Thai dishes.  I found a great recipe for a coconut curry sauce on RealSimple.com and set about procuring the necessary ingredients.  We also had some chicken from Trader Joes that needed to be used up.

I followed this recipe pretty closely, leaving out only the lemon zest (as we didn't have any), and using dried basil rather than fresh (that's all we had at home). 

I cooked up the mixture in our awesome wok while simultaneously cooking a batch of Udon (13-14 minutes in boiling water) and Geof chopped up the pre-cooked chicken.  Once the noodles were done I added them to the sauce mixture in the wok, as well as the chicken.  Stirring occasionally, without the lid, I let it simmer for another 5-10 minutes. 

And that's all folks! 

Super easy, extremely tasty, a fair amount of spice, and very filling!  This recipe was enough for four meals (two meals each).  I used a full package of Udon.  (This was my first time making Udon and I loved it!  The texture is divine.  Udon is pretty salty, though, so if you're watching your sodium intake I would use a flat egg noodle instead...or really any noodle will work; whatever your preference is!)

Here's the sauce recipe as found HERE:                                             

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
  • 1 1/4 cups light coconut milk
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons sugar, or to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves

Directions

  1. In a small bowl, combine the coconut milk, soy sauce, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
  2. Place a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and heat for 30 seconds. Add red pepper flakes, zest, garlic, and curry powder and stir-fry until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
  3. Add the coconut-milk mixture and bring to a boil. Cook until the sauce thickens slightly, 1 1/2 minutes. Add basil. Pour into a bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment