Friday, April 25, 2014

Avocado Pie…Yes, Seriously

I was recently involved in a no-sugar challenge with some classmates and after the three weeks were up, I wasn't really looking to jump back into my old sugar-loving ways, but I still craved something a little bit decadent.  And I was in the mood for tropical.

Then I remembered my friend Bethany showed up to a recent installment of our monthly dinner club with a delightful new dessert…avocado pie.  It was incredible.  And stupidly delicious.  When something is so tasty that it's stupid, then you know you've found a keeper.

Since I was craving it RIGHT NOW, and she was out of town, I couldn't get her recipe, but I could Google.  I stumbled upon THIS recipe and went to town on it.

Now, I did not take a picture because…it wasn't that pretty.  And to be honest, I originally wasn't even going to post this one.  It wasn't the same recipe that my friend had used, and it failed to meet the expectations I had for it.  But those expectations blinded me momentarily (i.e. for two days post creation).  The recipe says to let it set in the fridge for four hours.  I beg to differ.  I think it needs at least 24 hours to truly reach perfection.  So keep that in mind.  It is not a quick-turn-around dessert.  It requires some time, and patience with the fork :)  And throw expectations out the window.  This pie totally rocked once I got over myself.

I also made my own graham cracker pie crust (one package of graham crackers, obliterated and mashed to perfection; 1/2 cup melted butter…pour into pie pan, form, bake for 8-10 minutes at 375, allow to cool before using).  It was really, really good!  I didn't add the sugar that the crust recipe called for because I'm just not into that right now, and it was awesome.

Oh, and the original pie recipe called for sweetened condensed milk.  Have you seen how much sugar is in a can of that?!  I instead searched for a good substitute and the number one sub was coconut milk, which we already had.  Bingo!

This pie tastes like a tropical vacation…subtle, delicious, relaxing, tangy, sweet-ish, but not too sweet.  Pack your flippy floppies and your sunscreen, it's vacation time!

Ingredients

2 medium avocados, pitted, peeled and chopped
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, at room temperature
1 can (14 ounces) light coconut milk
¼ cup fresh squeezed lime juice
Pinch of salt
Whipped cream for garnish (optional)
1 graham cracker pie crust

Directions

-Place avocados and cream cheese in large mixer bowl; beat on medium speed until smooth.  Add coconut milk, lime juice and salt; beat until creamy. 

-Pour into cooled pie crust.  Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface of pie.

-Refrigerate for 24 hours.  This allows it time to set and for the flavors to really come through and shine (otherwise the pie will be really runny and not as flavorful).

I think that this pie actually gets better with time.  Two days after making it, it was in its prime.  The lime and gentle coconut flavor popped perfectly, and the crust was an excellent complement to the flavors.  

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment